Classic Beef Pot Roast. Cuts of beef that perform well for pot roasting go by many different names: Blade roast, cross-rib roast (or shoulder clod), seven-bone pot roast, arm pot roast, and boneless chuck roast are all acceptable cuts. It's hard to argue with a classic that's so easy and produces such consistent, fantastic results. Despite its name, pot roast is actually braised, not roasted.
Just brown the meat as described, then add the vegetables, meat, seasonings, and stock to the crockpot. Classic Beef Pot Roast with Winter Vegetables. We went "lean" on Fat Tuesday? You can cook Classic Beef Pot Roast using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Classic Beef Pot Roast
- It’s 1 tsp of Olive oil.
- Prepare 3 lb of Boneless chuck roast or shoulder roast.
- You need 1 tsp of Kosher salt (optional).
- Prepare 2 cup of Chopped onion.
- It’s 3 of Chopped carrots.
- Prepare 2 of Chopped celery stalks.
- Prepare 3 clove of Pgarlic, chopped.
- You need 1 can (14 oz) of beef broth ( or equivalent bullion.
- Prepare 1 of Bay leaf.
- You need 4 of large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- It’s 2 lb of Potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- It’s 1 cup of Or more of dry red wine.
Be careful when selecting your pot roast. Check a few packages, as some can have larger chucks of fat than others. Pot roast was a one-pot wonder long before that was a term for homey dishes that are both inexpensive and require little hands-on cooking. When cooking three different components in one pot — a beef roast, vegetables, and a beef gravy — the details are important.
Classic Beef Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Season roast with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder or any other seasonings you wish, and then brown on all sides in olive oil. Remove roast and add chopped carrot, onion and celery to pan and brown approximately 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Return browned roast to pan. Add wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth and bay leaf into pan. Bring to simmer, cover pan, and place into oven. Cook for two hours, and then add carrots and potatoes. Cook another 1 1/2 hours. Can thicken if wanted. If thickening, place tablespoon of flour in cup and stir in a tablespoon or two of cold water, making sure to get rid of lumps. Add hot liquid from roast, a little at a time, while constantly stirring. Stir contents of cup back into stew pot. Repeat, if wanted until gravy as thick as desired..
Now this is a crave-worthy dinner. Tender beef pot roast cooked low and slow with carrots and potatoes. This is as classic as it gets. Ultimate Pot Roast recipe with meltingly tender beef, vegetables and potato, cooked in a wickedly delicious gravy. Pot Roast – fall apart beef, tender flavour infused vegetables and potatoes smothered in a rich gravy.