stout braised pot roast. Skim fat from cooking liquid; transfer cooking liquid to a large saucepan. Braise in oven, turning after one hour until beef is tender – three to three and a half hours total. Remove the roast to a plate, then add the carrots, turnips and onion to the pot.
Return the roast to the pot. Pour the beer over the roast. Add the brown sugar, bay leaves, and rosemary to the pot. You can cook stout braised pot roast using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of stout braised pot roast
- You need 1 of onion.
- It’s 3 of celery.
- Prepare 3 of carrott.
- It’s 1 can of diced tomatoes (can sub. tomatoe juice if desired.).
- It’s 1 of salt.
- Prepare 1 of pepper.
- Prepare 1 of garlic.
- You need 1 of cayan pepper.
- You need 1 of cummin.
- It’s 2 cup of stout beer (guiness works great, find a stout infused with cofee for added goodness.
- It’s 3 packages of brown gravy mix. you can make your own, but this is already a long process..
- Prepare 4 large of potatoes.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of cream (optional).
Bring the roast to a boil then cover it, and place the pot into the oven. Sear the beef on all sides until brown and crispy. In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the onion, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, garlic, rosemary, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness, water or beef stock, remaining salt and pepper. Carefully remove the roast to a large plate and cover with foil.
stout braised pot roast instructions
- place 3 tablespoons of olive oil in Dutch oven, bring to seering temp..
- season roast with salt, pepper, cayan (optional), Cummin. Do not use garlic yet. Sear in Dutch oven on all sides till brown approx 3 minutes per side..
- While roast is seering, chop onion, dice 1 carrots, dice 1 celery. Sautée in skillet with tbl spoon olive oil, salt and pepper..
- remove roast, deglaze with 1/2 cup of beer. when done add rest of beer, sautéed veggies, Tomatoes, brown gravy, boullion, and water..
- because of sodium content in other ingredients, be careful when re seasoning the braising liquid. Add garlic, and other seasons to taste. remember that whatever you braising liquid tastes like, is how the roast will turn out, so taste before putting the not fully cooked roast back in..
- bring dutch oven to boil and reduce heat to simmer. turn roast once per hour. MIN. 6 HOURS. The longer the better..
- 45 minutes from end of cook time, add potatoes, large cut celery, large cut carrots. you can certainly add whatever veggies you want, this is just basic..
- (OPTIONAL) when cook time is finished, turn off heat, add 1/4 cup of tempered cream gently fold in as roast should be falling apart..
Remove and discard the bundle of herbs and sachet of spices. Brown roast on all sides; remove from pan. In same pan, heat remaining oil. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir until tender. I want to just grab my plaid scarf, furry boots, a giant bowl and cozy up by the fire with this beer braised pot roast.