Sweet Potato Pie (さつまいも🍠). Japanese Sweet Potato Pie has been a classic pastry in Japan. Originating in South or Central America, Japanese sweet potato or satsumaimo (さつまいも) in Japanese were first introduced to Japan in Okinawa (the old Ryukyu. This creamy sweet potato pie is subtly spiced and slices beautifully!
Once your pie has completely cooled, tightly wrap it. Many sweet potato pie recipes call for boiling the sweet potatoes on the stovetop until tender, but I believe that the best sweet potato pie is made from baked sweet potatoes. Baking sweet potatoes softens them without adding extra moisture, concentrates their flavor and sweetness. You can have Sweet Potato Pie (さつまいも🍠) using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato Pie (さつまいも🍠)
- You need 3 of Sweet Potatoes (さつまいも Yellow Sweet Potato).
- You need 1/2 Pint of Heavy Cream.
- Prepare 2 of Eggs.
- It’s 1 2/3 Cup of Brown Sugar.
- You need 1 Stick of Butter.
- You need 1 Tsp of Nutmeg.
- It’s Pinch of Salt.
- It’s Splash of Vanilla Extract.
- You need 2 of Pie Crusts (Homemade if you’re frisky).
A lightened-up sweet potato pie recipe, perfect for Thanksgiving. While most dessert pack empty calories, this dessert is made with healthy sweet potatoes, which are If you've never baked a sweet potato dessert, you're missing out! I love baking this sweet potato pie recipe during the holidays. Sweet potato pie is a traditional dessert, originating in the Southern United States.
Sweet Potato Pie (さつまいも🍠) step by step
- Roast the sweet potatoes until knife tender. Roasting it will allow for more of the natural sweetness to be extracted. Peel the potatoes. Careful, they’re hot as coal. Proceed to mash..
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together. Add in the mashed potatoes. Heat it with the nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract and heavy cream. Mix again. Get the eggs involved lastly..
- Place in a 350F oven for roughly 55 mins. Check for doneness with a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Allow to cool to room temp. Put in the fridge for a couple hours to help it really set up for nice slices..
- There they are, all said and done. I highly recommend warming individual slices and serving with ice cream or whipped cream… OR BOTH..
It is often served during the American holiday season, especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas in place of pumpkin pie, which is more traditional in other regions of the United States. This is a video about how to make Southern Sweet Potato Pie (Brown Butter). It's everything a traditional homemade sweet potato pie should be – extra smooth, with a light and flaky pie crust that melts in your mouth. I'd argue that this healthy sweet potato pie is actually even better than pumpkin pie! Just one bite of the sumptuously smooth sweet potato filling, and you will be.