Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie. Hearty, comfort food at its finest. Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato Topping is a family-pleasing, meal prep friendly and an incredibly tasty recipe. As a child, shepherd's pie was one of my favorites.
This sweet potato shepherd's pie was inspired from my classic Lightened Up Shepherd's Pie. I also have a meatless version, Portobello Shepherd's Pie (vegetarian). This is a crazy month for the North East. You can cook Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie using 10 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie
- Prepare 2 of Large Baked Sweet Potatoes.
- Prepare 2 of Large Zucchini.
- Prepare 2 of Celery stalks.
- Prepare 1 package of Mushrooms.
- It’s 1 Pound of Ground Beef.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Powder.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of thyme.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Basil.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of Water.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of shredded provolone and mozzarella cheese mixture.
First we got slammed with a hurricane, and yesterday a Nor'easter. Shepherd's pie has endless variations – this tempting version uses Veggie Ground Round and is topped with sweet potato mash. Drain well and return to pot. Add margarine and half of the fresh ground pepper and mash until.
Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie instructions
- Wash all the veggies and drain..
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a large casserole pan..
- Peel and slice two large baked potatoes. Set these aside in a bowl for the topping..
- Slice the top and bottom edges off the zucchini and discard. Slice the zucchini into quarters and then slice them into 1/4" pieces. Place these in a separate bowl from the sweet potatoes..
- Slice the rough top and bottom off the celery and discard. Cut the celery in half and the cut into 1/4" pieces. Place these in a bowl..
- Slice the mushrooms in half and the slice them into 1/4" pieces. Place these in the bowl with the celery..
- In a large skillet, brown the beef until it is pink in the middle. Making certain to chop the pieces while browning the meat. Drain the grease if there is any..
- Add mushrooms and celery to the skillet for 5 minutes and sauté..
- Add the zucchini and the seasonings to the ground beef mixture. Cook the mixture for 3 minutes..
- Place all of the ground beef mixture, veggies and seasonings into the prepared casserole dish. Drizzle the water over the mixture..
- Placed sweet potato slices over the mixture and cover with foil..
- Bake in the 350 oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes..
I love it so very much. Like everyone else in the world, I'm eating a bit lighter and fresher this month. This Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so scrumptious. The perfect fall recipe and the ultimate comfort food that can be on your dinner table in no time. For me, the potato layer of shepherd's pie is what makes the dish, so you'll see that there's a pretty even ratio of lentils to potato here.