Yellow Split Pea-Sweet Potato Corn Chowder. The corn, sweet potato, yellow split peas, with fresh herbs and lemongrass, give this soup a varied texture with garnishes of sour cream and croutons. The minute I hear the word chowder, I'm in. There is something so hearty and comforting about this type of soup.
Here are some of the amazing recipes Gena created for Power Plates: West African Peanut Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Chickpeas (I have already made this and fell in love! Sweet Potato + Yellow Split. click here to see more like this. Add the ginger, cumin, harissa, turmeric, salt, sweet potatoes, split peas, and water or broth to the pot. You can have Yellow Split Pea-Sweet Potato Corn Chowder using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Yellow Split Pea-Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- It’s 1 lb of dry yellow split peas, rinsed.
- Prepare 2 of sweet potatoes, pealed and diced (approx 4 cups).
- You need 1 of red onion, diced.
- You need 1/2 of red bell pepper, diced.
- Prepare 1 cup of frozen yellow corn.
- It’s 1 of green Granny Smith apple, cored and diced.
- Prepare 1 of jalapeño, diced (optional).
- Prepare 8 cups of water.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- It’s 1 Tbs of ginger, fresh minced.
- Prepare 1 Tbs of garlic, fresh minced.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of corse sea salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of chipotle powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- It’s 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- You need 1/2 tsp of tumeric.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of dried thyme.
- It’s 4 springs of fresh Italian Parsley, diced.
- It’s of Diced green onions, garnish.
Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer. This yellow split pea & sweet potato soup looks incredible! Cant wait for this virus thing to b over. Am praying for all Souls of th Earth.
Yellow Split Pea-Sweet Potato Corn Chowder step by step
- Saute onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño in olive oil, until soft. Add some water to keep moist or from sticking to pan..
- Add ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for a few minutes..
- Add sweet potatoes and apple and a little water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add split peas, 8 cups of water, bay leaves and bring to boil. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the remainder of ingredients: corn, thyme, chipotle, paprika, tumeric, nutmeg, and salt..
- Continue to simmer on medium heat for 20 Minutes.
- Add ground pepper or more salt to taste and fresh Italian parsley. Remove bay leaves at this time..
- Blend in batches, leaving 1/4 of soup in the pot, and blend until smooth and stir puréed soup back in pot with the remaining batch. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Should be nice and thick..
- Garnish with diced green onions, enjoy..
- Nutrition per 1 cup serving.
Split peas, like many pulses, make an easy substitute for flour in many dishes. Their rich starchiness, resistant starch and moisture help to bind ingredients Yellow split peas replace flour in this recipe for Sweet Potato Latkes. The latkes are easy to make, and gently flavored with mild chile and fresh red. This sweet potato corn chowder incorporates sweet onions, red bell peppers and bacon for a deliciously satisfying soup. I usually use yellow onions when I make chowders, but the sweet onions in this were fantastic!