Chorizo Mac n Cheese. Hi Meg, if your mac n cheese is lackluster, my guess is that you are not using the correct type of chorizo. There is no need to add any additional spices or cayenne if you are starting with a spicy chorizo. Pour the drained pasta into the cheese sauce and mix well.
Yes, I made mac and cheese but it's definitely not your ordinary mac and cheese. It's filled with red bell pepper, jalapeños, black beans, corn and best of all, chorizo. Just a couple of months ago, I never even had chorizo and now I'm adding it to everything! You can have Chorizo Mac n Cheese using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chorizo Mac n Cheese
- It’s 3.25 Cups of milk or water.
- You need 1 pound of pasta of choice (I use a mixture of Penne and Rotini).
- It’s 5 tablespoons (75 g) of unsalted butter, divided.
- You need 4 teaspoons (20 g) of sodium citrate.
- It’s 1 1/4 pounds (567 g) of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- You need 4 ounces of grated Gouda cheese.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) of mustard powder.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) of garlic powder.
- You need 1/2 pound (225 g) of grated Gruyère cheese.
- It’s 4-5 of fresh Chorizo sausage links.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- It’s 1/2 Cup of grated Parmigiana Reggiano.
Oh my gosh what an incredible experience today was! Today was the Rocketman Florida triathlon at Kennedy Space Center. We started with a swim during a gorgeous pink sky at sunrise. mac 'n' chorizo This recipe is so damn naughty, it ought to illegal. The mac 'n' cheese on its own is criminally cheesy, gooey and more-ish, but we've gone and added some deliciously sweet n' smokey 'chorizo' because we're mental like that.
Chorizo Mac n Cheese instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook elbow macaroni until just shy of al dente, about 2 minutes less than cooking time indicated on package. Drain, then transfer pasta to a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons (30g) butter until butter is melted and pasta is evenly coated. Set aside..
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups (720ml) water or milk to a simmer. Whisk in sodium citrate until fully dissolved. While maintaining a gentle simmer, add Cheddar and Gouda cheeses in small increments, using an immersion blender to incorporate it completely into the sauce before the next addition. When all the cheese is added and the sauce is smooth and glossy, blend in hot sauce, mustard powder, and garlic powder. Season with salt, if necessary..
- Cook Chorizo sausage links on grill, broiler or pan, until skin is crispy. Slice cooked sausage into small slivers and add to cheese sauce, mixing in evenly..
- Scrape cheese sauce into pasta and mix until evenly coated. Let cool slightly, then add grated Gruyère and mix well. Scrape pasta into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and smooth surface into an even layer..
- Add panko to a small mixing bowl. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter, then add to panko and mix until evenly coated. Add grated Parmesan to Panko and mix evenly. Season with salt, if so desired). Scatter panko mixture all over surface of mac and cheese in an even layer. Bake on top rack of oven until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes (ovens can vary; check often to prevent top from burning)..
- Let mac and cheese rest 15 minutes, then serve. Leftover mac and cheese can be refrigerated for up to 5 days; it reheats surprisingly well in the microwave or oven..
Chorizo mac and cheese is a fun spin on the classic mac and cheese. The spiciness of the chorizo mixed in with the creamy cheese is pasta perfection! Changing the Mac & Cheese game forever. Notes: Make sure the chorizo is nice and crispy before taking it out of the pan. Roll any leftover cold mac 'n' cheese into walnut-sized balls and coat in flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.