Mama's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese. Recipe by Mamas Kitchen Hope My kids say this is better than 'the blues' and gobble it up, even when I toss in a handful of cooked veggies like broccoli, peas, carrots, etc. Make it a one dish meal with some tuna, cooked ham, etc. Melt on low the Velvetta Cheese and ¾ cup milk until melted (stir often).
Add the flour to make a roux and. Here is a very popular mac n' cheese recipe around our house and the best thing is you use the crockpot. Tips for the Best Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese. You can have Mama's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mama's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese
- Prepare 2 packages of Elbow macaroni.
- You need 2 cup of Cheddar cheese, shredded.
- Prepare 2 cup of Colby Jack cheese, shredded.
- It’s 4 tbsp of sour cream.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Dried onion.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Topping.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of Italian seasoned Bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1 stick of butter.
Use block cheese and shred, do not buy the pre-shredded cheese. The pre-shredded cheese is great for so many things but not macaroni and cheese. It's coated and won't melt properly. You need to shred it yourself for the best result.
Mama's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese instructions
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add salt. Add macaroni and cook for 4-5 minutes. When time is up remove from flame and drain. Place macaroni back into pot..
- Preheat oven to 350°..
- To the macaroni add the remaining ingredients besides the butter and bread crumbs. Stir until well blended and place into a greased baking dish..
- In a small sauce pan, over medium-high heat, melt the butter to liquid. When fully melted, remove from heat. Add the bread crumbs and combine. Spoon the mixture over the macaroni..
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes. Cooking times vary by oven!.
Great recipe for Mama's Homemade Mac-n-Cheese. I just tweaked a recipe that I had tried and failed at a few years ago. Well this time I got it down pat with the changes that I made!! The wonderful homemade goodness of this creamy Velveeta mac and cheese makes it a staple side dish in my mother's kitchen and in mine as well. It has tender noodles and a crowd-pleasing golden crumb topping. —Maria Costello, Monroe, North Carolina Macaroni and Cheese is a classic.