Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Reviews for: Photos of Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Yall this baked macaroni and cheese is FULL OF SOUL!! That is the first thing that came to mind when I took that first bite.
Macaroni and cheese is an all-purpose comfort food, ready and able to assist you with any life event. This particular recipe puts the capital "C" in It's cheese sauce and pasta, baked in a casserole dish until golden-topped and bubbly. Remarkably, it doesn't take all that much more time and effort than. You can cook Baked Macaroni and Cheese using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- It’s of ingredients.
- It’s 4 cup of uncooked elbow macaroni.
- It’s 3/4 cup of onion, finely diced (I cut this back to 1/2 cup).
- Prepare 3/4 cup of butter, divided.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- You need 4 1/2 cup of milk.
- You need 4 cup of (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese. (You can substitute Velvetta if you'd like).
- Prepare 1 tsp of dry mustard.
- You need 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of dry bread crumbs (I use panko).
Give up the box mix because making Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese from scratch is easier than you think. Shredding a block of cheese adds a little more prep time but the smooth and creamy results are worth it. This dish makes for a great side dish that the family will love, or a fun casserole to. Boil Macaroni (DO NOT ADD OIL OR BUTTER TO THE WATER).
Baked Macaroni and Cheese step by step
- On stovetop, Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente. ALSO, preheat oven to 350°F..
- Meanwhile, in sauce pan, saute onion in 1/2 cup butter. Once butter is melted, wisk in flour. Cook on low heat until a light golden brown, making a roux. (I omitted the onion completely this time, just to experiment).
- Gradually add the milk, bring to a low boil. Stir constantly until thickened. About 5 minutes on a med/low..
- Add dry mustard, salt, pepper and cheese, stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is smooth. Mix cooked macaroni in..
- In a greased 9×13 inch pan, pour the macaroni and cheese in. In separate bowl, mix bread crumbs with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle evenly on top. Place uncovered in oven for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly..
- I finished it off by placing under broiler for a couple of minutes to lightly brown the panko bread crumbs. WATCH CAREFULLY! Or you'll have burned bread crumbs!.
- ***Got from taste of home***.
Ham and plenty of cheddar cheese make this macaroni and cheese a hearty, delicious main dish. Add a tossed salad and biscuits for a satisfying meal. Add sliced sautéed mushrooms to the macaroni and sauce mixture. For a lighter sauce, replace half of the milk with chicken stock or vegetable broth. With this baked macaroni and cheese that's creamy and homemade and honest-to-goodness soul food, there's no reason to eat the stuff in the blue box from Kraft.