Hot Pepper Relish. Use a good hot pepper relish as you would any other condiment. Top your burgers and brats right off the grill for a tangy flavor addition. Spoon it over grilled chicken or pork for an extra tasty component.
Put peppers and onions through food chopper, or chop in water in blender and drain. Oh no – this hot pepper relish has flavor galore! In fact, for me, the hotter the better. You can cook Hot Pepper Relish using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hot Pepper Relish
- You need 20-30 of banana peppers.
- You need 10 of jalapenos.
- Prepare 1 of red pepper (adds color).
- It’s 2 of medium yellow onions.
- It’s 2 cups of white vinegar.
- You need 1/2 cup of cider vinegar.
- Prepare 2 cups of granulated sugar.
- You need 4 tsp. of pickling salt.
- It’s 1 Tbsp. of mustard seed.
- It’s 2 tsp. of turmeric.
I'm talking the kind of "hot" that makes you cry, sweat, and think twice about what you just did to yourself. This sweet red pepper relish recipe is easy and tasty on just about anything off the grill or any You can make it with sweet peppers, red bell peppers, cherry peppers or use your favorite hot peppers. Hot Pepper Relish is a great way to preserve all of the peppers you have at the end of the season! Pepper relish is super easy to can and shelf stable!
Hot Pepper Relish step by step
- Full disclosure: you can use any peppers or pepper combination you want, green pepper, red pepper, banana, cayenne, habenaro, whatever tickles your tastebuds. This recipe is flexible, just hold to the ratios of overall pepper content to vinegar/sugar/seasoning and create the heat level you like. My banana pepper plants are insane this year thus explaining the following..
- Start by prepping your peppers. No seeds allowed. You are going to process these in your food processor so don't worry about chopping..
- Once every seed has been accounted for, prep your onion by peeling and quartering..
- Pulse the onion once or twice in food processor and dump ground onion into a 5 quart or bigger pot. Do not process the onion with the peppers or you will have onion water and no one wants that..
- Process the peppers and dump them in the pot with the onion..
- At this point I looked at my pepper mixture and found it to have the visual appeal of split pea soup. I hand chopped sweet red peppers to give some bigger red chunks in the visual palette, does nothing to the taste but we kinda eat with our eyes too….
- Next add sugar and vinegar..
- Turn the heat up high and measure in all the seasonings..
- Bring to a boil and babysit this madness. It foams and bubbles like crazy so do not leave unattended. You may need to remove from heat a couple times to let the foam settle. Once it's at a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it cook down for 30 minutes..
- This makes about 12 cups, will keep in the refrigerator for weeks or you can waterbath for longterm storage..
This sweet pepper relish recipe is a great way to preserve fresh bell peppers. This is a bit of a shock but totally addictive. Try it with griddled meat and plenty of yogurt. Using rubber gloves and in a well ventilated area, wash and clean peppers setting seeds aside. Immediately ladle the hot relish into hot sterilized canning jars with sealable canning lids.