Braised beef short ribs. Short ribs can be braised whether they are boneless or bone-in. Season and sear the meat over a high heat. Next, immerse the short ribs either partially or fully in a flavorful liquid in an oven safe pan.
Short ribs are the quintessential caveman cut, straight out of Fred Flinstone's larder, with their hunks of rich meat on the bone, looking primal and carnivore-ready. They're a rich winter meal, too, easy and forgiving to cook under their sleek caps of fat, melting into tender chunks of pull-apart beef in the oven. I remember the first time I tasted perfectly braised beef short ribs with a full reduction glaze. You can cook Braised beef short ribs using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Braised beef short ribs
- It’s 4 lb of beef short ribs trimmed.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of kosher salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s 4 cup of unsalted beef stock.
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 3/4 cup of red wine.
- It’s 1/4 cup of brandy.
- It’s 1 cup of drained canned whole tomatoes chopped.
- Prepare 3 of each celery ribs chopped.
- Prepare 2 of each medium size carrots chopped.
- It’s 1 of each medium size onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 of small garlic bulb cut in half crosswise.
- Prepare 1 of each bay leaf.
- It’s 3 of each sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley.
- Prepare 3 of each sprigs fresh thyme.
- Prepare 2 of each sprigs fresh rosemary.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
Coming from a family that cooked large beef ribs over a hot grill until charred and chewy, I never understood the incredible flavor and texture possible when a short rib recipe was combined with. Braised Beef Short Ribs are slow cooked for hours in a red wine, beef stock, and rich tomato sauce. Perfect served over mashed potatoes, risotto, rice, or Slow cooked beef short ribs are super easy to make, yet exceptionally impressive. It's both a fantastic family dinner or a great romantic date night at.
Braised beef short ribs step by step
- Sprinkle ribs on all sides with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours..
- Preheat oven to 300°. Let ribs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Bring stock to a boil in salt over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups..
- Cook half of the ribs in 2 tbsp of oil in a skillet over medium high heat on each side for 3 minutes or until browned. Repeat with remaining ribs and oil. Remove from heat and discard drippings and wipe skillet clean..
- Pour wine and brandy into skillet and return to medium heat. Boil 5 minutes or until reduced to about 1cup. Stir wine into stock..
- Place ribs in a Dutch oven. Add tomatoes and next 5ingredients around the ribs. Add parsley, thyme, rosemary. Pour stock mixture into Dutch oven and simmer over high heat. Place parchment paper directly on ribs and cover with a tight fitting lid..
- Bake at 300° for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and falls away from the bone. Let ribs stand in the Dutch oven covered with parchment and lid at room temperature for 30 minutes..
- Remove parchment paper. Transfer ribs to serving platter and cover with foil. Skim fat from the cooking liquid. Pour liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a large saucepan. Discard solids. Bring to simmer over medium high heat. Simmer 5 minutes whisking occasionally until sauce reduces. Remove from heat. Add butter and whisk until butter melts and sauce is smooth..
While the short ribs are browning, puree all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor until it forms a coarse paste. When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan. Beef short ribs, braised in red wine and veal stock with onion, celery, and carrots. These braised beef short ribs are easy to make, so do not be intimidated by the overall time! Braised Beef Short Ribs. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.