Cumbersome Sweet Potato Fries. These addictive seasoned "fries" from Mark Bittman are actually baked, but we promise you won't miss the grease. The spice mix – garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper – can be used on regular potatoes as well (you'll just need to. This Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe is ultra crispy, perfectly seasoned, and irresistibly delicious.
Sweet, savory sweet potato fries are pan-fried in olive oil with a zesty seasoning mix. A tangy way to enjoy sweet potatoes outside of Thanksgiving dinner. Sweet potato fries do not crisp as well as regular potato fries do, so if you do not like softer fries, this is not the recipe for you! You can cook Cumbersome Sweet Potato Fries using 21 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cumbersome Sweet Potato Fries
- Prepare of Fries.
- It’s 10 large of Sweet Potatoes.
- It’s 1 of Oil for Deep Fryer (follow your fryer's specific instruction).
- You need 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Chili Powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of Salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Garlic Powder.
- It’s 2 tbsp of White Sugar.
- Prepare of Pre-Soak (or brine).
- Prepare 7 cup of Water.
- Prepare 2 cup of Kosher Salt.
- You need 1 cup of Brown Sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of Mild Molasses.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Fresh Sage.
- Prepare 2 bunch of Fresh Thyme.
- You need 2 quart of Ice.
- It’s 2 large of Onions (quartered).
- You need 1 head of Garlic.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Black Pepper.
- You need 4 cup of Chicken Broth.
These crispy sweet potato fries require very little oil to brown in the oven. We use a little cornstarch to get a perfectly crunchy fry. A few meals of loaded sweet potatoes and we were hooked, not only on the potato itself, but the concept that healthy eating could be vibrant and delicious. Yes and no, sweet potatoes are seen healthier than regular potatoes because they have beta-carotene and fiber in them.
Cumbersome Sweet Potato Fries step by step
- Wash sweet potatoes well if you intend to leave the skins on. Cut all of the potatoes into 3/8 of an inch thick sticks. If you choose you can very well peel the potatoes as well..
- Put the 7 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil..
- Add the chicken broth, salt and brown sugar and dissolve in the liquid. Once dissolved remove from (or turn off) heat..
- Add the molassess, sage, thyme, onions, garlic, olive oil, and black pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes..
- Add the ice and let cubes melt..
- Add the sweet potatoes and let soak for 30 – 90 minutes. After 30 – 90 minutes remove from soak with a hand strainer and pat dry. Keep as much of the liquid and ingredients in as possible (explain later)..
- In your deep fryer, turkey fryer (what I use), or pot (following your specific instructions as to how much) add oil (canola or lard) and heat to 375°F (190 degrees C). This process can be started while the potatoes are soaking..
- In a bowl add Brown Sugar, Chili Powder, Salt, Garlic Powder and White Sugar. With your fingers mix all ingredients together..
- Once poatatoes have soaked and oild is 375 (190) add the potatoes in batches according to the size of your fryer or pot (DO NOT OVERLOAD) and cook each batch for about 10 minutes or until golden brown..
- Drain potatoes on paper towel and season with Brown Sugar, Chili Powder, Salt, Garlic Powder and White Sugar mixture to taste. Do not place batches on top of one another as they come out of the fryer as the bottom will get overlu seasoned..
- What I typically do is use the leftover brine for chickens. I just add two whole chickens and soak them over night. I'll add that recipe soon..
You can definitely leave the sweet potato skins on because they are edible. Fried Crispy Sweet Potato Fries Recipe. Crispy sweet potato fries made in the air-fryer, with just a small amount of oil! An easy sweet potato recipe you're going to love! Making sweet potato fries in the air fryer is so much healthier than frying, and reduces the fat and calories, without sacrificing taste.